Monday, March 30, 2009

I Wrote A Poem...

Lightning is going to strike. Hell is going to freeze over. The oceans are going to part. Stand back, Karen wrote a poem for the Aunts this weekend. Wow, imagine that. What is happening to me? I don't know. I'm really beginning to scare myself what with yoga, trying to take care of ME, reading spiritual type books, agreeing to meet John's family for Easter brunch, planning on going to do the Stations of the Cross (OMG Rosemary I haven't done it since grade school -- that's like ancient history... and I had to look it up on the Internet for a refresher lesson but I think I'm ready), and all the other changes I've been making. But there was a very important reason that sparked the poem, really there was. You see last Tuesday we lost another one of our family icons, Uncle Johnny died of cardiac arrest. Uncle John sat by Cecilia's side during her month long fight after her stroke. He was her older brother. So what was five is now down to three. Only the Aunties remain. So last week was a time of visiting and grieving. Tomorrow is the viewing and Wednesday is the funeral for yet another family legend.

So I visited two of John's Aunts (Fran & Ag) that live alone in Laurel last Wednesday nite. The third Aunt (Blanche) lives with her hubby of many years (Leland) in Oxon Hill. All I remember is that's out there near Andrews AFB but the other side of the world for me. So while thinking about Uncle John and realizing how lucky we were to have him for all these years and how lucky he was to go so quickly and not suffer endlessly, I decided to write a poem to show my feelings. I would then create cards and send to the three sisters to show them how much they mean to us. It goes like this:

Although we may not talk every day,
Although we may not always say it out loud,
We love you more than words can convey.

That's it. Short, sweet and to the point. So now what do I do. Hmmm, well I have all these silly pens I have bought over the years. And I seem to remember taking a calligraphy class way back when. Do you think I might be able to use that skill? I will try. So try I did. And I wrote out the poem three times (yes, Rosemary & Jana, it's in my own handwriting). I then attached card stock to it and then made three cards. I had to put something in to represent my being known as the "flaky" or "crazy" niece because I love them all dearly and I don't always see their point of view so they have thought I was always a little flaky. Imagine that!!! Karen flaky. No way! At least I have an excuse cuz I married into that family I was not born into it naturally. Hmmm, excuse or mistake...... Well the QuicKutz egg with the chick feet coming out just cracked me up -- get it!!! So I put the Revolution size on the cards. I love the result. I used flowers, ribbons, scrap card stock, stickles, buttons, and pens. I even went and bought colored envelopes to meet the festive nature of the occasion. I hope they will love them as much as I loved doing them. Pictures are included. Oh yeah and I had to give credit to John Frank (their actual blood nephew and my hubby) on the card but I signed my name first. Hee, hee...

Enjoy the pics. I'll be off line again for a few but I'll be back! I promise with more stupid thoughts from flaky Karen.







Take care and hugs to ya all (my loyal now three readers!!!)
KTTTT..........................

P.S. I didn't know that Chartreuse & Co. was only open once a month. Bummer!!! I went back Saturday to get more bracelets, Ro, cuz I thought those would make great presents for upcoming birthdays. Too bad I didn't think about with you. Next month's dates are around the 17-19th. .

P.P.S. Here's my pin Rosemary! See it is three colors!

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

Oh, I would cry that someone made such a thoughtful card for me. That is beautiful. You are so thoughtful to them. (Harumph, you went back to Chartreuse without me? How can it be? great pin, btw.)

Don't keep hiding that light under a bushel, you are so talented!!!

Rosemary said...

As for Stations - I'm so proud of you - just follow everybody else and get one of the little booklets. Easy peasy.

Rosemary said...

And also, I am sorry for the loss of John's uncle - that has to be so hard on the heels of losing your MIL.

Rosemary said...

You done been tagged to answer the 8 Meme - deets on my blog. I know, I know, but you love me anyway right????