Monday, March 16, 2009

So what did you do this past weekend????

Costco was advertising a special on a little machine that looks intriguing to me. It was this cute little inexpensive machine that you manually loaded and uploaded your negatives. Yeah those 35mm type negatives slot by slot. You can also do it with slides supposedly. So being the adventuresome idiot that I am, I got a new negative scanner that was cheap. So on Sunday, I actually scanned in 369 negatives. Yep, individually inserting the little holder, looking at each negative, scanning, saving, and moving on to do more. So I got a good start on many, many negatives in my possession. The funny part is that you can even do the little tiny ones but that will absolutely drive you crazy (or in my case crazier!!) as you have to adjust the negatives in the holder each time as those don't really match the holder opening itself. It's more of a slide type set up if you get my drift.
But my little sister's wedding pics, our wedding pics, some doggie pics, graduation, other old photos are loaded to the SD card that came with it. I saved the images to my computer and had my own little slide show last nite. Now I have to fix the upside down and backwards ones but hey they are now in a jpg file. How cool is that???
And I copied the 10 CDs (yes that would be 10 in total) that were scanned in for me the weekend before last at our OC crop to my computer. I backed up my files twice. One backup will be brought to work and the other will reside at home. At least that way I have a back-up plan with off-site coverage just in case. I have to go get the little "sticks" so I can upload to those things too so I can carry around pieces of me for viewing purposes.
My projects for hubby's birthday this Thursday are 3/4 finished. He doesn't know it but he's getting two (three if I can finish the last one) picture frames with his family pics in it. The first one is actually for his office which contains four pics of his DAD which he has been saying for years that he has none of "Chief" and wants to get some. So in sifting through his Mom's house, I absconded with some, scanned and printed them and put in the frame for him. It covers from 1945 through 1990 so he now has his Dad in the Army, on his wedding day, another one in Paris, and last one at his 75th birthday party. All just plain "Chief" no one else in the pictures, just him. Pretty damn cool if I do say so myself!!! And so handsome too! Muscles on that man to make you swoon!
Then the next one is one of those collage type frames from AC Moore where they are 3x5 and 4x6 pics in a plastic type frame. It's three dimensional and kind of retro but very cool (IMO). I printed all the pics of his family (including all of us that married into it and the nieces & nephews too) and put in each slot. I think there were like 11 - 15 slots for pics. I then journaled what each picture represented, printed on card stock, and attached to the back of each picture. You can read thru plastic frame on back too. I like this one too and hope it stays at home and not in his office. But we will have to fight over that one. That's ok because I bought two more frames to do more for my walls at home with many more pics to choose from too. Ha, ha!
The last one is the digital frame I got awhile ago. I thought when I bought it that it was four digital frames in one but it turns out it's one digital frame with three static frames that you choose your favorites and put in like normal picture frames (only one moves through the slide show with your chosen digital photos). Guess four together would be a little too much on the eyes now wouldn't it!!! But you know my brain - I thought wow I could put four SD cards in there and you'd never run out of pictures. I could actually give you a headache while viewing all the pictures. LOL!! So I'm now trying to choose three 4x6 or 5x7 (to cut down) and put in the static frames and copy and put together slide show for his last present.
Ah yes, it seems to be a picture type birthday this year. But when he doesn't want anything I couldn't come up with a gift that would be better received than his family memories all together for his birthday. Hopefully he will appreciate all that has gone into this effort and project. Now it might take him until April 16th to actually see it all to appreciate it but at least he'll have some cherished memories to look over when his tax season is over officially.
Well got to run but wanted to post my weekend festivities. Not as much fun as Rosemary's birthday celebration but I got lots done. Oh and the deer have been out back for three mornings too feeding out back -- four of them!!! Birds are chirping -- I think Spring is finally coming!!!

Have a great week!

Hugs,
KTTTT.....................................

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

What do you mean it wasn't as much fun as my weekend - sounds like it to me! Actually, I love going through old photos and being able to get those negatives out of boxes and onto new media is a great way to spend some time. I bet you were transported back in time to see all these memories again! I think I have the same kind of machine but I have had hit or miss luck with it. Perhaps we can put our collective noggins together and help me figure it out.

I have missed you - maybe you can have a Saturday morning play date to go to the antique place? I haven't asked Casii yet but I'm going to...

Jana said...

Holy moly, you scanned your little butt off. Good job girlie.