Thursday, October 9, 2008

Verdict is in…

So no LASIK because my corneas are too thin, and no PRK because my prescription is too bad!!!! BUMMER!!!!! Very depressing actually. I was soooooo looking forward to a positive answer. After seeing the first Doc and learning that my corneas were thin, I, as Eeyore of course, looked at my glass as half empty and when they sent me to the TLC in Frederick to see another Doc I figured I would be told I wasn’t a candidate. But he surprised me and said well let’s do the testing today and see if you are candidate for LASIK or PRK bringing my hopes up and making me think that I had a chance. Then it looked good but we needed another test. So another week went by and I went to TLC in Rockville for another test. That was the cool 60s test!!! Well that chance or dream stayed real until yesterday. After all the tests and not wearing my contacts for the last three weeks and wearing these really heavy glasses, they delivered the news yesterday afternoon that I’m not a candidate for either surgery. Their recommendations would be not to seek out other opinions as there were additional risks that could occur with the PRK because of the higher prescription, such as halos and bad vision and possibly permanent damage. Yuck! Not really an option I want to consider!!! Well hearing that said out loud kind of took the wind out of my sails to say the least, but then I was thinking that I should probably get a second opinion to learn what those risks really were. But then again, it’s my eyes and I don’t really want to take risks with my eyes and not being able to see, even as bad as my prescription is. At least lenses and glasses CAN correct to 20/20 I just have to have plastic either on my eyes or on my nose to make me see. After all, 20 years ago LASIK and PRK were unheard of. So maybe in the future there will be a way to fix my poor eyeballs. And then again maybe not. But right now, I just made another appointment to get checked again for contacts and new glasses. The good thing is I can go back to smaller lenses and lighter in weight in the glasses (of course those are twice the cost but who cares!!!) and I can even get transition lenses which eliminate the need for prescription sunglasses. Yeah. I just have to concede to being stuck wearing something to make my vision correct rather than having the surgery to make it permanent. Oh well, could be worse. So no more tests on surgery. Not gonna be able to wake up and see the clock UNLESS IT'S A REALLY, REALLY BIG CLOCK. Don’t have to worry about recovery and not being able to drive (some would argue that I can't drive anyway!!!). Just have to pop in new lenses and wear new glasses. I think I’m gonna look into some really cool frames to “accessorize” my face too!!! What the hecht!!! Why not! It’s only money right.. Being able to see at close to 20/20 again after not going to the eye doctors in over 10 years, priceless!!!!



So today is a climbing day. Doing better than yesterday when I got the news but still not there. Monday will make it better when I see how well I really can see with lenses that are the correct prescription. What a concept. Going to the doctors because they really matter. Who knew!!! Now I have to keep this up.



Cya ltr!

KTTTT

1 comment:

Jana said...

You are so lucky that you can have your vision correctable. And I can't believe you haven't been in 10 years. Bad girl. Glad you are getting lighter glasses and the proper prescription. The better to scrap with, my dear. We love you no matter what is on your nose.